The Derek Lunsford diet is a typical bodybuilding meal plan. He eats plenty of protein, carbohydrates, and some fat on a daily basis.
This provides his body with the proper fuel needed to gain and maintain muscle mass. Derek will also bulk during the off-season and lean down before a competition.
This process allows his body to maintain a solid amount of muscle, while being as lean as possible.
Continue reading to find out Derek’s favorite foods and training style.
Who is Derek Lunsford?
Derek Lunsford is an American IFBB pro bodybuilder. He was Mr. USA 2017, and he is one of the greatest bodybuilders worldwide in the 212 division. In Olympia 2021, Lunsford won his first 212 Olympia title.
When Lunsford began his career, he was disappointed in his progress. However, things changed for him for the better when he met James Brown, his trainer. James Brown started to guide him on the right path.
And as a result, he has become as recognizable as bodybuilding icons, such as Jay Cutler and Phil Heath. The following includes his awards and championship history:
- 2015- 1st (Welterweight) in the NPC Indianapolis Championships
- 2015- 1st (Welterweight) at the NPC Junior Nationals
- 2016- 1st (Middleweight/Overall) at the NPC Junior Nationals
- 2016- 2nd (Middleweight) at the NPC USA Championships
- 2017- 1st (Light Heavyweight) at the NPC USA Championships
- 2017- 5th (212) at the IFBB Mr. Olympia
- 2018- 1st (212) at the IFBB Mr. Olympia
- 2019- 2nd (212) at the IFBB Mr. Olympia
- 2020- 4th (212) at the IFBB Mr. Olympia
- 2021- 1st (212) at the IFBB Mr. Olympia
- Height: 5’6 (167.5 cm)
- Weight: 205-215 lbs (88.3-93.0 kg)
- Year of birth: 1993
The Derek Lunsford Diet Plan
In addition to the right trainer, talent, and skill, Derek Lunsford has a healthy diet that is appropriate for him.
Please note that bodybuilders and athletes eat more food than the average person, because they burn so many calories when training.
So, the Derek Lunsford diet involves eating every two to three hours to obtain 50 to 60 grams of protein in each meal. After undergoing many trials and errors in his diet plan, he finally found the best nutrition plan for him that helps him reach all his fitness goals.
He places emphasis on amino acids, whey protein, and multi-vitamins.
Lunsford also makes sure that he meets his daily macronutrient needs. With this nutrition, he can quickly recover from intense workouts.
This also helps with his muscle-building process. The following includes some foods that he frequently eats as part of his diet plan:
- Egg Whites
- Healthy Fats
- Coconut Oil
- Egg Yolks
- Mixed Vegetables
- Wheat bread
The Derek Lunsford Workout Plan
Athletes and bodybuilders will do certain exercises geared at improving skills in their sport. Bodybuilders train to build muscle mass.
First, he makes sure that he drinks water to stay hydrated throughout his workouts. He also drinks pre-workout before he starts his training program.
He also remembers to do warm-up and cool-down exercises by stretching his muscles. This assists in avoiding injury during workouts.
His Workout/Training Split is as follows:
- Monday: Chest & Abs workout
- Tuesday: Back workout
- Wednesday: Quads & Calves workout
- Thursday: Shoulders & Abs workout
- Friday: Biceps & Triceps workout
- Saturday: Hamstrings, Glutes & Calves workout
- Sunday: Off
- 1st exercise: 4 sets & 10-15 reps: Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- 2nd exercise: 4 sets & 10-12 reps: Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- 3rd exercise: 4 sets & 10-12 reps: Cable Upright Row
- 4th exercise: 3 sets & 15 reps: Dumbbell Front Raise
- 5th exercise: 3 sets & 15 reps: Face-Pull
“Never sacrifice form for weight. That’s the difference between the bodybuilder who keeps going for years, and the one who bounces from injury to injury”.
Derek next performs complex movements such as squats, deadlifts, and the bench press after completing his isolation sets.
He employs a heavy weight with such a low repetition range when doing these movements, allowing him to feel full muscular contraction with each repetition.
Derek Lunsford is an IFBB pro bodybuilder who is one of the greatest bodybuilders worldwide in the 212 division. It wasn’t always that way, however.
When Lunsford began his career, he was disappointed in his progress, but things changed for him for the better when he met James Brown, his trainer.
And with James Brown guiding him on the right path as well as his talent and skill, Derek Lunsford had to have a healthy diet that is appropriate for him.
He also regularly worked out in ways that will help him stay in shape and that will help him with his sports skills. Derek remembers to do warm-up and cool-down exercises by stretching his muscles.
This assists in avoiding injury during workouts. And as a result, he continues to be as recognizable as other bodybuilding icons.
- Derek Lunsford diet plan
- Derek Lunsford workout routine