The Steven Cao diet follows the traditional bodybuilding approach of cutting and bulking. Steven must be very precise when it comes to measuring what he eats, so he can bring his best physique to the table.
Who is Steven Cao?
Steven Cao is an IFBB physique pro and fitness influencer. Steven was first introduced to bodybuilding when he wanted to get bigger for basketball season. After getting a gym membership, Steven fell in love with lifting weights and decided to make a career out of bodybuilding.
Today, Steven Cao posts physique photos to his Instagram account and shares his intense workout routines on his YouTube channel. He’s also a Gymshark sponsored athlete along with his friend David Laid.
Steven Cao Stats
- Height: 5’10” (177.5 cm)
- Weight: 185 – 195 lbs (83.9 – 88.5 kg)
- Year of Birth: 1994
Steven Cao Diet for Cutting
When prepping for a show, Steven likes to make his meals creative – that way he won’t get tired of eating the same foods. He works with his coach on his diet plan, but Steven will add little things to make his meals taste better. This is the key to not getting burned out when eating clean.
- 1st meal: A smoothie with 2 scoops of chocolate brownie whey protein, 16 grams of almond butter, mixed with water and ice.
- 2nd meal: 6 ounces of lean ground turkey and 4 ounces of white rice. This is Steven’s pre-workout meal.
- 3rd meal: 6 ounces of tilapia and 4 ounces of white rice.
- 4th meal: 6 ounces of grilled chicken and 4 ounces of steamed broccoli.
- 5th meal: 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein and 16 grams of peanut butter.
Steven Cao Diet for Bulking
Even when bulking, Steven Cao eats relatively clean. He makes all his own meals, so he knows exactly what is going into his body. You’ll notice that he likes to switch up his source of protein in every meal (instead of eating chicken all day). This helps to avoid food burnout.
- 1st meal: 10 ounces of egg whites, 3 whole eggs, 2 ounces of deli meat, 1 ounce of cheddar cheese and a handful of spinach. While Steven is cooking his eggs, he will make a packet of oats and add ½ a scoop of whey protein.
- 2nd meal: 6 ounces of grilled chicken breast and 6 ounces of white rice.
- 3rd meal: 6 ounces of grilled shrimp, 6 ounces of white rice and sriracha sauce for taste.
- 4th meal: 2 ounces of cream of rice, 16 grams of almond butter, 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein, and 2 packets of Splenda. This is Steven’s pre-workout meal.
- 5th meal: 6 ounces of tilapia and 6 ounces of white rice.
- 6th meal: 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein and 16 grams of peanut butter.
Steven always uses a food scale to track his measurements.
Steven Cao Chest Workout
On chest days, Steven likes to do 2-3 warmup sets before he jumps into his working sets. He wants to make sure his body is ready, because he trains hard and lifts heavy weight. In this routine Steven focuses on upper chest, as that is the area he feels could be improved.
- 1st exercise: Dumbbell incline press 4 x 6-10
- 2nd exercise: Machine incline press 4 x 6-10
- 3rd exercise: Incline dumbbell fly 4 x 6-10
- 4th exercise: Bodyweight dips 4 x 6-10
- 5th exercise: Pushups 4 x 15
- 6th exercise: Standing cable fly 4 x 6-10
Steven Cao Back Workout
Steven adds a wide-range of movements in this back workout. He uses machines and free weights to add size and thickness to his impressive back. Begin by doing a few sets of bodyweight pull-ups to get your back muscles warmed up.
- 1st exercise: Weighted pull-up 4 x 6-10
- 2nd exercise: Barbell row 4 x 6-10
- 3rd exercise: Seated cable row 4 x 6-10
- 4th exercise: T-bar row 4 x 6-10
- 5th exercise: Seated machine lat pulldown 4 x 6-10
- 6th exercise: Standing cable row 4 x 6-10
- 7th exercise: Standing close grip lat pulldown 4 x 6-10
- 8th exercise: Barbell stiff leg deadlift 4 x 6-10
Steven Cao Shoulder Workout
On shoulder day, Steven makes sure his delts are fully warmed up before training. He will grab a 2.5 lbs plate or dumbbell and do various shoulder movements. These motions are key to loosening up the upper body before pressing heavy weight.
- 1st exercise: Seated dumbbell press 5 x 6-10
- 2nd exercise: Dumbbell upright row 5 x 6-10
- 3rd exercise: Seated barbell overhead press 5 x 6-10
- 4th exercise: Alternating dumbbell front raise 5 x 6-10
- 5th exercise: Cable rear delt fly 5 x 6-10
Steven Cao Leg Workout
In this leg workout Steven finishes up with barbell squats. Many people like to start their leg days off with squats, because they require so much energy and can wear you out. But he saves them for the end and drops the number of reps for each set.
- 1st exercise: Seated leg extension 5 x 8-12
- 2nd exercise: Barbell stiff leg deadlift 5 x 8-12
- 3rd exercise: Leg press machine 5 x 8-12
- 4th exercise: Reverse leg extension 5 x 8-12
- 5th exercise: Barbell squat 5 x 6-8
Steven Cao Arm Workout
Arms are an important body part for any IFBB physique competitor. You can see from this routine that Steven takes his arms very seriously. Below is one of his sample arm workouts and it’s very intense. Try these killer biceps and triceps exercises on your next arm day.
- 1st exercise: Standing dumbbell curl 4 x 8-12
- 2nd exercise: Standing dumbbell alternate curl 4 x 8-12
- 3rd exercise: Standing dumbbell hammer curl 4 x 8-12
- 4th exercise: Seated dumbbell curl 4 x 8-12
- 5th exercise: Machine seated triceps pushdown 4 x 8-12
- 6th exercise: Close grip cable triceps pushdown 4 x 8-12
- 7th exercise: Standing cable curl 4 x 8-12
- 8th exercise: Standing EZ-Bar curl 4 x 8-12
- 9th exercise: Standing cable double-bicep curl 4 x 8-12
- Steven Cao diet plan
- Steven Cao workout routine