These chocolate protein brownies pack in 11 grams of protein per bar! They make a perfect macro-friendly dessert or post-workout snack!
Brownies are an all time classic when it comes to baked goods. You can make them a dozen different ways – depending on your sweet tooth and flavor preferences.
Butter and sugar is what helps traditional brownies taste so good. That is until now. These chocolate protein brownies still have plenty of flavor, but use healthier ingredients.
A combination of Greek yogurt and egg whites provide plenty of protein. Where Stevia and cocoa powder bring in a perfect blend of sweetness.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is a common ingredient found in most baked goods. This will provide the brownies with structure.
- Protein powder: You can’t make protein brownies without whey concentrate. Make sure to use an unflavored brand, so it doesn’t interfere with the chocolate flavor.
- Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder is crucial when making chocolate dishes. It can be bitter by itself, but blends well with sweeter ingredients.
- Baking powder: Baking powder is another popular ingredients found in dessert recipes. It will create air bubbles that will give the brownies a light and airy texture.
- Salt: A small amount of salt my seem insignificant in recipes. But it can act as a flavor enhancer and make the brownies taste better.
- Greek yogurt: A moderate amount of Greek yogurt will add protein to the brownies. But it also works as a healthy alternative to butter.
- Egg whites: Eggs are normally used to bond ingredients together. Egg whites on the other hand can give you a lighter and airy brownie.
- Sweetener: Artificial sweetener (such as Stevia) can be another healthy option to sugar. Keep in mind, that a little goes a long way with this stuff.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract is also used as a flavor enhancer for baked goods. But who doesn’t enjoy the smell of vanilla when eating a dessert?
- Chocolate chips: Sugar free chocolate chips will be the final ingredient to this recipe. They taste just like the standard variety, without all the added sugar.
Making these chocolate protein brownies is super easy. You can scroll down to the recipe card for more detailed instructions. Here’s an overview of the general steps:
Add all-purpose baking flour, whey protein powder, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and sweetener in a large mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly until there are no clumps.
Then add Greek yogurt, egg whites, and vanilla extract. Whisk again until it turns into a chocolate brownie batter. Make sure the texture is smooth with no clumps.
Pour the brownie batter into a 9×9 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking oil. Then sprinkle chocolate chips on top (this will prevent them from floating to the bottom).
Bake the brownies at 350°F for 18 minutes. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before eating. I highly recommend topping these chocolate protein brownies off with fat free whipped cream!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are my protein brownies dry?
Using too much whey protein powder can dry out the brownies. That’s why I don’t recommend using more than the amount provided in this recipe.
- Can I add more protein?
You can add more protein powder as long as you also increase the amount of Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt can help provide moisture to the brownies and add a substantial amount of protein.
- Does protein powder lose potency when baked?
Whey protein concentrate is just like any other real food. In other words, heating up protein powder and baking it will not destroy it, or make it lose potency.
Chocolate Protein Brownies
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 scoop unflavored whey protein powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 9 tbsp egg whites
- 3 tbsp sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips
- Add flour, protein powder, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and sweetener in a large mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly until there are no clumps.
- Then add Greek yogurt, egg whites, and vanilla extract. Mix chocolate brownie batter until texture is smooth.
- Pour batter into a 9×9 baking dish and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Allow brownies to cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.