Rice cakes are an ideal snack option when you’re short on time. But sometimes they don’t taste as fresh as they once did. This brings us to the following question: do rice cakes go bad?
Do Rice Cakes Expire?
Yes, rice cakes can go bad. While there are many different rice cakes, the following are the most common.
- Korean rice cakes go bad in about three days once they are opened. However, they can be frozen for up to three months.
- Puffed rice cakes will go bad after about one year.
Can Rice Cakes Get Moldy?
Yes, rice cakes can develop what looks like tiny black, green, or blue spots that look like mold. It does not take much for rice cakes to become moldy. Mold can develop from:
- Moisture from air entering the bag
- Wet hands entering the bag
Is it safe to eat rice cakes with black spots?
- If it’s puffed rice cakes with black spots, throw them away. Korean rice cakes typically have small black spots on the rice bran, and it is OK to eat them.
- You can safely eat Korean rice cakes three days after opening the package. Within three days, they will go bad and need to be thrown out.
- Puffed rice cakes also sometimes present thin black streaks. This is part of the cooking process of rice cakes.
What causes mold on rice cakes?
Bacteria, mold spores, and microorganisms from moisture in packages of rice cakes.
Can you extend the life of rice cakes?
Yes, you can freeze rice cakes for up to three days. You must store rice cakes in the refrigerator. They must be eaten soon after opening the package for full flavor and texture. After three days, throw them away as it does not take long for them to go bad.
Is it safe to eat rice cakes if there is mold?
If you notice spots on your rice cakes, throw them away. Mold on rice cakes appears due to moisture. Moisture can quickly develop bacteria and microorganisms. This causes mold, which can make you sick if you eat it.
How long can you store puffed rice cakes?
Puffed rice cakes last much longer. However, near their expiration date, they become stale even before mold develops. Throw them away if they taste stale.
How do you safely store puffed rice cakes?
- In plastic storage bags
- Vacuum sealed
- Airtight container
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Avoid storing in cupboards or near heat.
- Do not put them in a freezer as they do not freeze well, causing them to become soggy.
How do you safely store Korean rice cakes?
You can store these rice cakes the same as puffed rice cakes.
To extend the life of your rice cakes, try following these tips:
Korean Rice Cakes
- Last three days
- Freeze for three months
Puffed Rice Cakes
- Last for about one year
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Do not store in the freezer
It doesn’t matter what type of rice cakes you’re eating, they all go bad eventually. All food has an expiration date and they must be used by that date.
Keep that in mind, as soon as you open the package, you have little time left before they spoil. If you eat spoiled rice cakes, they can make you sick.
- Do rice cakes go bad?
- Do rice cakes expire?