This low calorie strawberry bread is moist and sweet! Made with the perfect blend of ingredients, you can enjoy this guilt-free treat without overloading on sugar!
You might be asking yourself the following question: aren’t carbs bad for you? The simple answer is no. In fact, you can enjoy delicious and flavorful bread without all the extra calories.
This recipe is made with real ingredients that pack the perfect amount of sweetness. The best part is, this strawberry bread is even better after 1-2 days, because the texture gets more moist.
- Strawberries: The foundation of this low calorie strawberry bread is fruit. You can cut them up to any size you like, but I find that smaller pieces are easier to eat.
- Flour: Once again, you can use any kind of flour for this recipe. I like to use the gluten-free variety, because my wife has Celiac disease.
- Brown sugar: In order to make the bread sweet, I like to use a small amount of brown sugar. I find that light brown sugar tastes better for baking.
- Maple syrup: For even more sweetness, I’m adding sugar free maple syrup. This not only improves the taste, but it keeps calories low in the strawberry bread.
- Salt: You won’t be able to taste a pinch of salt – but it’s still required. Salt enhances and balances flavors, especially when baking sweet things.
- Baking soda: Also known as sodium bicarbonate, this is another popular baking ingredient. It provides that light and fluffy texture typically found in bread.
- Baking powder: Using a tiny amount of baking powder also improves the fluffy texture we love in bread. It works by creating air bubbles during the baking process.
- Vanilla extract: If you want to enhance the flavors even more, vanilla extract is key. Just remember that a little goes a long way with this ingredient.
- Eggs: Whole eggs are a vital ingredient found in most dishes. they create structure – which will be needed to help thicken the bread and keep it stable.
Making this low calorie strawberry bread can be done in under one hour (including cooking time). Scroll down to the recipe card for more detailed instructions. Here’s an overview of the general steps:
You can begin by preheating your oven to 350° F. Make sure to wash your strawberries in cold water and pat them dry. You can then slice the strawberries into small pieces and set them aside.
In a large bowl add all-purpose flour, light brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix dry ingredients together until no clumps remain.
Then add the wet ingredients. This includes the maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk everything together until a thick batter forms. Slowly fold in 2 cups of fresh strawberries.
Finally, transfer the mixture to a loaf pan. Gently place the remaining 1/4 cup of strawberries on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top turns golden brown.
Remove the low calorie strawberry bread from your oven and allow it to cool, before eating.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I add protein powder?
Yes, you can add whey protein powder to this strawberry bread. If you do, make sure to balance it out with more liquid (either milk or yogurt) – as it will make the batter very dry.
- Is this strawberry bread healthy?
Yes, this homemade strawberry bread is healthy. You can enjoy it as a breakfast, dessert, or post-workout snack. The bread is very moist and only has 7 grams of sugar per serving!
- How many calories are in strawberry bread?
This strawberry bread has 112 calories per slice. That’s much less than other recipes I’ve found on the internet. There’s also 25g carbs, 2g protein, and 1g fat per serving.
- How many strawberries in a cup?
There are about 6-8 large strawberries in a cup. This information will help you know how much fruit to buy when searching for ingredients. You can slice up the strawberries as large (or small) as you like.
Low Calorie Strawberry Bread
- 2 1/4 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar free maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Wash strawberries in cold water and pat dry. Cut them into small pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl add flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix dry ingredients until no clumps remain.
- Add maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk all of the ingredients together until a thick batter forms. Slowly fold in 2 cups of strawberries.
- Transfer mixture to a loaf pan. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of strawberries on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top turns golden brown.
- Remove strawberry bread from oven and allow it to cool, before slicing.