Protein Fruity Pebbles Treats
I’m obsessed with these protein Fruity Pebbles Treats! Only 97 calories per serving, they make the perfect snack, pre-workout, or post-workout meal. The best part is, you only need four ingredients.
I’ve made Rice Krispies treats and Cocoa Pebbles treats before, so I wanted to try something different with this recipe. Combining marshmallows with Fruity Pebbles cereal creates a flavor explosion in your mouth.
So, why add whey protein powder? Regular bars lack nutritional balance. Making them with the ingredients below will help keep you full longer, without sacrificing amazing taste.
Marshmallows: The foundation of this protein Fruity Pebbles treats recipe begins with marshmallows. Make sure to buy the mini marshmallows, because they will be easier to measure and melting them down takes less time.
Fruity Pebbles: This rice-based cereal has a blend of citrus flavors – which makes it a delicious choice when combined with marshmallows. You could also save money when buying an off-brand variety at your local grocery store.
Unflavored Whey: The problem with Fruity Pebbles is that they don’t have much protein. This is where unflavored whey can help. It mixes right in with melted marshmallows and the unflavored variety won’t come with a weird aftertaste.
Butter & Vanilla Extract: There’s nothing special about these final ingredients. A small amount of butter will give these treats richness and structure. Vanilla extract (optional) on the other hand will enhance flavor of other ingredients in this recipe.
Start off by melting the butter in a pot on low heat. Make sure the pot is large enough, because it needs to hold the marshmallows and Fruity Pebbles cereal together.
When the butter has melted, add marshmallows and begin to stir. Even on low heat, the marshmallows will begin to melt quickly and you will need to stir them every so often.
Remove the pan from heat when the marshmallows have melted (the mixture should be smooth, with no lumps). Then, add in the unflavored whey protein powder.
At this point it’s crucial to work quickly, because the mixture will begin to get tougher to stir. That’s because marshmallows will start to harden when they’re removed from heat.
Finally, add the Fruity Pebbles cereal and stir until everything is combined. You can then transfer the mixture to a 9×9 pan – just make sure to spray it first with non-stick cooking oil.
Use a spatula to remove any remaining marshmallows from the sides of the pan. Try using the back of a spoon, or your hands to press the mixture into the baking dish.
This process can be difficult, because the mixture can be very sticky to deal with. You can try spraying a piece of parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray and place it over the mixture to spread it out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do bodybuilders eat Fruity Pebbles Treats?
Fueling your body before exercising is critical. And while complete meals are ideal, you need easily digestible carbs as the workout gets closer. Fruity Pebbles Treats provide the body with quick energy that will help fuel your training session.
Do Fruity Pebbles Treats have a lot of protein?
Post Fruity Pebbles Treats have less than 1 gram of protein per serving size. These protein Fruity Pebbles Treats have 4 grams per bar. And while this isn’t a substantial amount of protein, it’s much more than the original version.
Can I add more whey protein powder?
You can add as much protein powder as you want. Just remember to slowly stir it in, because whey can be very dry. I find that 2 scoops is the perfect amount for these bars, as it adds just enough protein without sacrificing taste.
Are Fruity Pebbles just puffed rice?
Yes, Fruity Pebbles are made from puffed rice grains. The main ingredients in Fruity Pebbles are rice, sugar, salt, and barley malt flavoring. Food coloring is added during the manufacturing process to give them more color.
Protein Fruity Pebbles Treats
- 1 9×9 baking dish
- 1 1 large pot
- 1 spatula
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows (10 ounces)
- 4 cups Fruity Pebbles cereal (4 ounces)
- 2 scoops unflavored whey protein
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Once melted, add marshmallows and stir periodically. Remove from heat when the marshmallows are smooth and all lumps are gone.
- Add the protein powder in and mix with a spatula. Make sure to work quickly, as the marshmallows will begin to harden.
- Lastly, add the Fruity Pebbles cereal and mix until everything is combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9×9 pan sprayed with cooking oil. Use the spatula and scrape any remaining mixture from the bowl.
- Use the back of a spoon, or your hands to press the mixture into the pan. Let it sit for 30 minutes, before cutting up the bars.
- The Fruity Pebbles and marshmallows can be very sticky when handling. Try lightly wetting your hands if you’re having trouble transferring the mixture into a pan.
- Then, spray a piece of parchment paper and place it over the mixture. Press your hands over the mixture, spreading it out evenly in the pan. This will make things easier, because parchment paper will act as a barrier between the mixture and your hands.
- Protein fruity pebbles treats
- Protein fruity pebbles bars