This mouth-watering pepperoni protein pizza uses real ingredients. In other words, there’s no need for synthetic whey protein powder. The entire pizza has 55 grams of protein!
I’m the kind of person who can devour any kind of pizza (takeout or frozen, it really doesn’t matter). The problem is that greasy food can weigh you down and it provides little nutritional value.
It’s no surprise that traditional pizza is high in calories and fat. You’ll need to take a nap afterwords just to recover. That’s where this protein pizza is different.
Greek yogurt, flour, and spices create a flavorful crust for all of your toppings. And once you combine fat free mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni, you will have a guilt-free high protein meal.
Greek yogurt: If you’re trying to lose weight, cooking and baking with Greek yogurt can be a game changer. It’s versatile enough for both savory and sweet dishes – which is why it makes a perfect pizza crust.
Flour: All-purpose baking flour combined with the Greek yogurt will make up the dough. Keep in mind, these ingredients will be a little more delicate than traditional pizza dough, but it can still be molded to form a crust.
Spices: In order to give the pizza crust more flavor, you will need to add salt and garlic powder to the dough. Italian seasoning will also be used at the end, to sprinkle on as a final topping.
Mozzarella: You can’t make a pizza without adding cheese! Fat-free mozzarella cheese will add plenty of protein, without all those extra calories. This variety melts perfectly and tastes just like the full fat version.
Marinara: Selecting the right sauce is another important step when crafting a pizza. Rao’s Homemade All Natural, Premium Marinara sauce adds plenty of flavor and it also spreads well on the crust.
Turkey Pepperoni: If you want to make a classic pepperoni pizza, turkey pepperoni is the best option. It’s packed with protein and much lower in fat and calories (compared to regular pepperoni).
Making this protein pizza is quick and easy. You can scroll down to the recipe card for more detailed instructions. Here’s an overview of the general steps:
Combine all-purpose flour, Greek yogurt, salt, and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk with a fork until the ingredients form into a dough.
Spray two pieces of parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray. It will be easier to from the pizza dough between these two layers.
Gently run your hands over the top layer of parchment paper, spreading out the dough to form a crust. You want to avoid making the crust too thin – because it will break.
Next, carefully hold the bottom piece of parchment paper and transfer the crust to a baking sheet. You can then discard and remove the top layer of parchment paper.
Transfer the pizza crust to your oven and cook for 5 minutes at 425° F. When finished, remove from oven and add marinara, cheese, turkey pepperoni, and Italian seasoning.
Finally, place the pizza back in the oven for 6-7 minutes, or until crust reaches desired crispiness. You will need to let the pizza cool before removing the bottom the layer of parchment paper.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is pizza a high protein meal?
Pizza can be a high protein meal when made with the right ingredients. This recipe includes Greek yogurt crust – which is high in protein. But you can also increase the amount of protein with toppings.
- How can I add more protein to my pizza?
If this isn’t enough protein for you, there’s always the option of adding more. Instead of using turkey pepperoni, try using chicken breast. You can also add more fat free cheese to increase the amount of protein.
- Is pizza good for bodybuilders?
Pizza can be a great meal for bodybuilders when it’s high in protein. These people need more protein (compared to the average person) in order to build muscle and add size. This meal would work well for bodybuilders, because it has 55 grams of protein.
Pepperoni Protein Pizza
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (68g)
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (170g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (125g)
- 1/2 cup fat free mozzarella cheese (56g)
- 16 slices turkey pepperoni (28g)
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Add flour, yogurt, salt, and garlic powder to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until ingredients form into a dough.
- Spray two pieces of parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray. Place dough between both of these pieces.
- Run your hands over the top layer of parchment paper and spread the dough out to form a crust. Avoid making the crust too thin, as it will break.
- Hold the bottom piece of parchment paper and transfer the crust to a baking sheet. Then remove the top layer of parchment paper and discard.
- Place the crust in the oven and cook for 5 minutes at 425° F. When finished, remove from oven and add marinara, cheese, turkey pepperoni, and Italian seasoning.
- Put the pizza back in the oven for 6-7 minutes, or until crust reaches desired crispiness. Allow the pizza to cool before removing the bottom the layer of parchment paper.